Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I'm on my third hard drive for my IMac since we bought this computer in 2008.  The first time we lost the hard drive was in 2009.  We had not been backing up to any external sources and there was no such thing as the Cloud.  We paid a huge amount of money to have our data recovered.  I wanted all our pictures, and my husband needed our quickbooks information for our business.

We lost a lot of pictures when a tornado hit our house in 2008.  So paying $800 to have all our digital photos recovered from our hard drive was really painful but as we had no hard copies, what choice did we have?

The second time we lost our hard drive, we were prepared.  We had been backing up on an external hard drive and didn't lose anything.

I spent this past weekend restoring all of our photos onto the computer from the hard drive.   My kids asked tons of questions about the photos and also noted that I'm not in 99% of them.  I never realized how few pictures there are of me!  This suits me just fine - but I realize it's not going to make it easy on my kids once they are older and trying to recapture memories of growing up.   I am kicking myself for not having more photos of my parents now that they are gone.

I'm going to make more of an effort to record our daily lives here.  I've archived all my older blogs (frankly I seldom updated anyway - I was always waiting for something exciting to write about!) and am working to remember that our every day happenings in our present surroundings often are the things we strive to remember and cherish later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment